An Army Wife's Life

Once upon a time I was a college student, then I was a teacher, and now I'm a mother. Technically, I'm currently a freelance writer... but really I am an ARMY WIFE. Expect to find... funny (at least to me) anecdotes, thoughts about la vida military, hopes, anxieties, dreams, commentaries on current events.

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Loving the Sedentary Life

Civilization begins when societies become sedentary. And although there is a lot to recommend active duty, and many pluses to its nomadic way of life, I'm glad to have a reasonably permanent, permanent address that is mine and not my parents.

We are doing home improvements. In fact, we just remodeled our basement using a basement finishing system with these guys. If you happen to be on Long Island and want to get your basement finished, tell them Candace sent you because I get a referral if you use them (which I do recommend)! I'll post pics once I get the kids stuff down there.

We may even get to do a little landscaping.

I've started volunteering with the local historical society, which is a lot of fun for me.

At the same time, I look back fondly on the camaraderie of the Active Duty days. DH's National Guard unit is spread out across the state. I've joined meet-up groups in the area but never seem to see the same people more than a handful of times. We go to the library, but again...different parents or often grandparents or nannies--people who are just at different stages in their lives.

So, busy, busy, busy! But little opportunity to form tight, meaningful friendships.

A few thoughts about An Army Wife's Life...I'd like to make this site more about you, the readers. I find I spend a lot of time answering questions, in the comments or via e-mail, but have little about which to post. How can we transform this into a community site? I've bought a new domain, which I plan on unveiling, soon. And I'm considering adding a forum, FAQs, resource pages, etc.

Any thoughts?

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 10:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is my first post I'd love to thank you for such a great quality site!
Was thinking this would be a nice way to make my first post!

Sincerely,
Sage Brand
if you're ever bored check out my site!
[url=http://www.partyopedia.com/articles/spiderman-party-supplies.html]spiderman Party Supplies[/url].

 
At 4:16 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. My wife and I bought our house about 6 months ago. It was a foreclosure and we were able to get a great deal on it. We also took advantage of the 8K tax credit so that definitely helped. We did an extensive remodeling job and now I want to refinance to cut the term to a 20 or 15 year loan. Does anyone know any good sites for mortgage information? Thanks!

Mike

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home