An Army Wife's Life

Once upon a time I was a college student, then I was a teacher, and now I'm a mother. Technically, I'm currently a freelance writer... but really I am an ARMY WIFE. Expect to find... funny (at least to me) anecdotes, thoughts about la vida military, hopes, anxieties, dreams, commentaries on current events.

Friday, September 15, 2006

Baby Steps

Yesterday I did two hours of work and did a load of laundry.

Today I emptied the dishwasher and did an hour of work and it is only 10:15 AM.

Baby steps.

I appreciate everyone's good wishes...and I don't mean to convey the impression that I am anywhere nearing a breaking point.

I know the dust bunnies can wait--but there is a certain minimum that must be done! As DH can attest (although he probably would not because he is so gallant), housekeeping has never been my strong suit. Cooking, yes. Decorating, maybe. Tidying up the place? Well, let's just say I have been compared to a hurricane on multiple occasions.

Lilah is very obliging in that she (so far! knock on wood!) calms quickly when I am actively calming her.

Because of her condition, though, I have to keep her calm.

Throughout the day she fusses whenever she either is not asleep or in my arms and the sling. Furthermore, I have to be moving while holding her.

She is a clever baby and will accept no substitutes for mommy! Lilah will not be fooled by swings or recordings (though they do sometimes help her if she is already drifiting off to sleep).

The sling (baby carrier) is a Godsend, but there is a limit as to what I can do since bending down is difficult with her in it.

So, I can tidy anything at waist-level or higher, but I can't pick things up off the floor.

I can load/empty the top of the dishwasher, but I can't get to the bottom.

I can throw clothes in the wash, but not load and empty the dryer.

I can make a sandwich for myself (as long as the ingredients are on the top shelves), but I can't sit down to eat it!

She really likes it when I vacuum...so ironically, dust bunnies are actually not a concern.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home