An Army Wife's Life

Once upon a time I was a college student, then I was a teacher, and now I'm a mother. Technically, I'm currently a freelance writer... but really I am an ARMY WIFE. Expect to find... funny (at least to me) anecdotes, thoughts about la vida military, hopes, anxieties, dreams, commentaries on current events.

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Be Prepared

My Eagle Scout DH should appreciate this...

I was chatting with my mother who will arrive here about a week before DH is approximately expected (how's that for vague).

My mom mentioned how my hometown was terrorized by an extremely rare tornado. I live in the New York City metro area (about 40 minutes out of mid-town Manhattan)--not exactly tornado alley.

Then the topic drifted to the infrequent, but not unheard of, tornados in Killeen (we are protected by hill country...most tornados in this region go around us) and the far more regular super thunderstorms and massive winds.

I asked my mom what she would do if I went into labor during a severe weather alert. Finally she answered she would start boiling water.

"For what, mom?"

"I don't know."

So, I'm picturing contractions coming three minutes apart and my mom boiling water and...

...making tea. To calm herself down, presumably.

She said, "Gee, I hope [DH] is home in time."

"Maybe he'll use his battlefield medicine training...I can just see it: 'I can start an I.V. ... is there somewhere I can place a tourniquet?'"

Heheheh...my imagination has always been too active for my own good.

Anyone have any fun birth stories involving attacks of mother nature?

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home