An Army Wife's Life

Once upon a time I was a college student, then I was a teacher, and now I'm a mother. Technically, I'm currently a freelance writer... but really I am an ARMY WIFE. Expect to find... funny (at least to me) anecdotes, thoughts about la vida military, hopes, anxieties, dreams, commentaries on current events.

Sunday, February 12, 2006

A PSA for Men: Why Women Say, "Don't Get Me Anything."

I've been catching up on work after my huge cold, so expect more posting next week.

In the meantime, I thought I would make a little Valentine's Public Service Announcement.

No doubt some men have heard their wife or girlfriend tell them, "Don't get me anything." They probably thought they were off the hook and, thankful for clear directions for once, did not get anything. If they conducted this little experiment in the past, they probably realized how mistaken they were.

So, why do women say, "Don't get me anything," when they really want something?

Let me explain.

She may have actually meant it when she said it. She thought about the consumerism of the holiday and the dwindling bank account or the kids' college funds and thought, "Our money can be better used."

Possibly she really wanted something, but was afraid of appearing greedy.

Another possibility is she wants something, but something heartfelt, rather than just purchased.

Finally, even if she really wants something, she does not want to have to ask--she wants to be surprised.

So, what is a confused male to do?

I suggest skipping the mall and the ATM machine and hedging your bets. Get her SOMETHING, but do not break the bank.

Write a poem and age the paper (before you write down the poem) with tea. It doesn't matter if it is the worse poem ever. This time it really is the thought that counts.

Make her dinner. My husband cannot cook, but one day he bought fresh pumpkin ravioli and pecan pesto and made me dinner. That was one of the sweetest things anyone has ever done for me.

Frame a favorite photo.

Not your style? Well, then go for something that will remind her of all of the fun things you do together as a couple--whether it is hiking, tailgating, playing darts, or whatever.

The point is that it has to be unique and special... and if you think expressing your emotions is too girly, even if it is in the form of a "romantic game" on a dart board (whatever you hit, the other person does for you), suck it up. This is only one day in the year.

Your regular blogging should return tomorrow.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home